Pages

Friday 4 August 2017

Book Musings - Being Alpha by Katie Salidas

Title : Being Alpha
Author : Katie Salidas
Series : Olde Town Pack #3
Genre : Paranormal Romance
Source : ARC from author 

Blurb :

Newly-Minted Regional Alpha, Aeson Silverman hit the jackpot. Power, prestige, and wealth, he’s got everything a wolf-shifter could ask for.

Or so he thought…

Being the Alpha is not the playboy lifestyle he’d imagined.

Despite devastatingly good looks and an impressive wit, he can’t seem to get Emma MacBride, the hottie doctor from another pack, to give him the time of day.

Unfortunately a bruised ego is only the beginning of Aeson’s troubles.

Someone has been poisoning the minds of other territorial Alphas, systematically pitting neighbor against neighbor. And the moment he takes control of the Long Teeth territory the rising storm of dissension finds a way into his pack.

Allying himself with the powerful Olde Town pack, Ace chooses comradery over aggression and invites warring neighbors to join him for a meeting to establish peace.

Diplomacy comes with a reward earning him a date with the elusive doctor MacBride.

But every choice the young Alpha makes is under scrutiny and when his peaceful summit ends with the death of a high ranking wolf, the fate of his pack and his leadership hangs in the balance.

My Musings :

I haven't read any of the previous books in this series. So I am new to it and the author's writing. I was interested in the book because of the intrigue promised in the blurb. The romance part was just a bonus. This was an interesting take on wolves and I enjoyed it as a short read. Yes, it was a rather fast read!

The characters were inked a bit differently. The wolves weren't always full of alphaness. They had the right mix of human and animal traits. I actually loved that idea though I did hope Ace was a bit more dominant than Emma. Comparatively, Emma seemed to be more Alpha than Ace in the starting. But near the end, he grows into his power while Emma becomes more human. I think Emma had a very good facade of nonchalance. She was more posing but it was very convincing. I love her growing more into a person with more heart.

The promised intrigue was delivered with triple times the effect. I loved the way the author played it out. The power play and the resolution had the story go fast. It was a surprising twist at the end which satisfied me as a reader. The only problem I had was the beginning. The story felt sluggish in the starting. There was too much of the explaining of Who's Who and other incidents though it was needed to have a clear idea of the world and the characters. It picked up when all the packs converged at Ace's place. Then it was a race to the end. The romance didn't overshadow the intrigue. It was light and suited to the plot but not the characters, as in wolves.

All in all, I can see myself reading more of this series in the future.

I received a copy for reviewing purposes which doesn't affect my review in any way.

My one line review : A surprisingly twisted intrigue with a light romance.

My rating : 4/5

My reread factor : 3/5

Floryie

No comments:

Post a Comment